TL;DR: Due to COVID-19 we have decided to postpone the Running Remote live conference until 2021. Instead, we are going all-in on virtual conferences until the end of the year.
March 11, 2020.
We decided to postpone the event until September. But we’ve come to learn that “You don’t make the timeline, the virus makes the timeline.”
The state of live events for the rest of 2020 does not look good.
A Successful Virtual Event Test Run: RemoteAID
What are the advantages of virtual events?
- Lower barriers for participation.
- Easier to connect with a specific person (by searching for their name). People can easily find each other and send a direct message, rather than searching through the crowd.
- Less logistics, fewer set-up costs, and less prep time for sponsors.
- A higher number of attendees. (RROnline is also a free event.)
- Fewer distractions.
- Thorough analytics for sponsors and networking reports for attendees.
- Online speed-networking: Meet others for timed 10-minute video conversations. (45 video chats was the record achieved by one attendee.)
- It’s possible to be in two rooms/places at once, unlike at a live event.
- You can post supporting links during the sessions, which isn’t possible at a live event.
- Session recordings are available much faster than editing footage from various cameras at a live conference.
- Sponsored video pre-rolls and link clicks can be more effective than during a live event since people are focused on the screen.
We want to showcase the possibilities of connecting with others online, without commuting. According to Bizzabo, 98% of the people surveyed believe that live events are irreplaceable.
The Future Is Hybrid
This is why we are announcing four virtual conferences between now and the end of 2020 approximately one every two months.
The remote work community is growing at a rapid pace. The four virtual events that we’ll be hosting this year will give both us and our speakers, the chance to teach the community everything we know about scaling remote teams.
And we will also bring our vision of a hybrid event company closer to reality.