Top 12 Time Doctor Alternatives In 2021
Here’s a detailed look at the 12 best alternatives for Time Doctor that you can use for free:
Note: Later in the article, we’ll explore why Time Doctor is still a great choice for employee productivity management.
- Accurate time tracking for tasks, projects, work orders, clients, or locations.
- Geofencing for automating time tracking based on custom locations.
- Detailed online timesheets to keep track of employee hours.
- Employee monitoring to track who’s working on what in real-time.
- Build project budget based on hours, bill rate, and pay rates.
Has a free plan with features like time tracking, timesheets, and activity levels. Paid plans start at $7/user per month.
- G2: 4.3/5 (350+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (1100+ reviews)
2. Toggl Track
Toggl Track is a time tracking app that helps small businesses manage the working hours of their in-house as well as remote employees.
It allows employers to monitor their teams’ activities across various platforms and offers useful task management and revenue tracking features.
- Automatically tracks time for applications and websites where users spend more than 10 seconds.
- Summary, detailed, and weekly reports to gain actionable insights into team members.
- Team dashboard for viewing who’s working overcapacity and who might be able to handle more work.
- Turn calendar events into time entries with calendar integration.
- Simplify project management workflows with Basecamp, Teamwork, and Trello integrations.
The free plan offers autotracker, idle detection, and Pomodoro timer. Paid plans for this software solution start at $10/user per month.
- G2: 4.6/5 (1400+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (1600+ reviews)
DeskTime is a time tracker that enables businesses of all sizes to boost employee productivity. It supports automated screenshots, activity trackers, cost calculation reports, and detailed project billing for customers.
- Offline time tracking feature to track time spent away from the work computer.
- Built-in Pomodoro timer that reminds employees to take regular breaks from work.
- Safely execute non-work-related tasks during office hours using the private time feature.
- Employee scheduling to plan and schedule team shifts more effectively.
- Integrates with project management software like Asana and Jira.
It offers a free plan with automatic time tracking and iOS and Android mobile app. Paid plans start at $7/user per month.
- G2: 4.6/5 (15+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.4/5 (130+ reviews)
Harvest is a cloud-based time tracking app that lets you track project time and expenses easily.
Employees can either track time using the timer or fill in their work hours into a timesheet at the end of the day.
- Visualize the team’s capacity to adjust workload through team reporting.
- Automatically generate invoices based on tracked billable hours and expenses.
- Project reports for staying on top of budgets and other internal costs.
- Convert Outlook and Google Calendar events into time entries.
- Easy invoice payments with PayPal and Stripe integration.
The free plan for this tracking software includes invoicing, integrations, and apps for all devices. Paid plans start at $12/user per month.
- G2: 4.3/5 (700+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (430+ reviews)
RescueTime is a time and productivity management app that provides valuable insights into an employee’s daily activities. This automatic time tracking tool aims to minimize the time you waste on non-work-related websites and apps.
- Categorizes apps based on their productivity levels, like neutral or distracting.
- Smart goals to know what your team is working towards.
- FocusTime distraction for blocking unproductive websites.
- Offline time tracking for monitoring the time spent on offline activities like meetings.
- Integrates with 100+ tools like Calendar and Slack.
Has a free plan with automatic time tracking, weekly email report, and cross-platform availability. Paid plan starts at $12/month.
- G2: 4.2/5 (65+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (110+ reviews)
TMetric is a time tracking and project management tool that helps businesses track time across tasks to calculate billable hours, budgets, payroll, and more.
You can also manually add time entries along with details like project names and task descriptions.
- Assign billable rates to a team member, project, client, and workspace.
- Project tasks time analysis to get a complete overview of how your team is handling tasks.
- Employee absence tracking for recording sick leaves, vacations, work absences, and time-off.
- Customize invoices with the company’s logo, name, and address, as well as clients details.
- Cross-platform availability across Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, and iOS devices.
The free plan includes unlimited projects and clients, reporting, and a timer button. Premium plans start at $5/month per user.
- G2: 4.6/5 (90+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (240+ reviews)
Clockify is a time tracking software designed for any remote worker, freelancer, or business who wants simple time tracking functionality.
The free version of this tool also includes a Pomodoro timer to help boost employee productivity.
- Track time with a start-and-stop timer or clock-in hours manually.
- Categorize time by projects and mark time as billable.
- Calendar for visually tracking time and logging activities.
- User-friendly dashboard to see who’s working on what and other useful insights.
- Reports to get a complete overview by day, activity, and user.
Paid plans start at $4.99/user per month.
- G2: 4.4/5 (75+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (1500+ reviews)
TimeCamp is a time tracking software designed for small to medium-sized businesses. It offers features like time diaries, goals, reports, and automatic task detection to help you track time and measure project profitability.
- Track time automatically by assigning keywords to projects, tasks, or clients.
- Offers 10+ built-in reports to gain essential insights about projects and teams.
- Automatic invoicing functionality for billing each client.
- Project profitability, costs, and expense tracking and management.
- GPS location tracking via the Android or iOS app.
The free plan supports unlimited users and projects and one integration. The premium plan for this Time Doctor alternative starts at $7/user per month.
- G2: 4.7/5 (160+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (520+ reviews)
ActivTrak is an employee monitoring software that offers detailed reports into team productivity through online user activity monitoring.
The free plan includes an activity dashboard and various reports like users, websites, productivity reports, and email notifications.
- Blocks access to unproductive websites specific to individuals or teams.
- Takes screenshots of employee’s screens to determine what they’re working on.
- Generates detailed reports such as single workday productivity reports, working hours reports, etc.
- Tracks what applications are being used by which individuals or teams.
- Provides a mobile app for both Android and iOS mobile devices.
Paid plans for this employee monitoring tool start at $9/user per month.
- G2: 4.5/5 (150+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (500+ reviews)
Timesheets.com is a cloud-based time tracking solution that allows employers to track both hourly times for payroll and project time for billing.
It also offers expense tracking, employee scheduling, time-off requests, and payroll integrations like Paychex, ADP, Gusto, and more.
- Create and download 50+ customized reports to gain total control of your overtime and billing.
- GPS tracking for tracking attendance of in-field employees using a mobile device.
- Easily track time-off balances, review usage history, and run time-off reports.
- Categorize employee expenses based on customers, jobs, and expense types for simplified accounting.
- Integrated human resource system for keeping all HR records like employee data records in one place.
The free plan is designed for personal use and does not offer support. Paid plans for businesses start at $3.60/user.
- G2: 4.2/5 (440+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (690+ reviews)
Jibble is a time clock and attendance tracking tool that enables employers to track their work hours and streamline payroll services.
It’s suitable for industries across education, construction, manufacturing, healthcare, and more.
- Verifies employees’ biometric attendance with facial recognition.
- Timesheets approval for better payroll management.
- Provides insights into the team’s efforts with team overviews.
- Geolocation to track where field employees work and how long they spent at each location.
- Unique PINs for each team member to avoid time theft and buddy punching.
The free plan offers automated timesheets, facial recognition, and overtime calculations. Paid plans start at $2/user per month.
- G2: 4.6/5 (40+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.8/5 (220+ reviews)
TopTracker is a time tracking tool suitable for freelancers, solopreneurs, and small organizations.
It also provides a centralized dashboard, activity level tracking, and privacy features like blurred screenshot.
- Hotkeys to quickly start, pause, and manage time tracking.
- Gain insights into the team’s performance and project progress with a detailed report.
- Real-time project tracking with the help of the project dashboard.
- Periodic screenshots that act as proof of progress for clients.
- Offers desktop app for Windows, Linux, Mac, and Fedora.
Completely free to use.
- G2: N/A
- Capterra: N/A
Now before you make your pick, let’s have a quick look at Time Doctor.
Why Time Doctor is Still A Great Productivity Management Tool for 2021
Time Doctor is a powerful employee productivity management tool used by high-performing teams in large companies like Verizon and RE/MAX and SMBs like Thrive Market for boosting employee productivity and accountability.
With Time Doctor, you get:
- Manual and automatic time tracking to track time spent on tasks and projects.
- Comprehensive performance reports for a detailed breakdown of how employees spend time.
- Productivity ratings to classify websites and apps according to their productivity levels.
- Idle time pop-up alerts when the computer is idle for too long.
- Better productivity analysis for remote team members.
- Efficient employee scheduling with work schedules.
- Screencasts functionality to determine work activity.
- Payroll management for easily generating payroll for any member of your team.
- A powerful Chrome browser extension to track time spent on other online apps.
- Third-party app integrations with various project management tools like Asana, Jira, Wrike, and ClickUp.
As you can see, there are several benefits of using Time Doctor.
However, some businesses might have second thoughts about the app. This usually arises from improper implementation of the software.
Here are three major concerns of using Time Doctor improperly and how you can overcome them:
A. Using Time Doctor for Micromanagement
Some managers/employers might use Time Doctor to closely monitor employees every second of their workday. This can lead to micromanagement.
But Time Doctor is actually designed to prevent managers from micromanaging.
Time Doctor helps boost accountability among your employees.
You only need to drill down if you want to track good or bad performance, conduct focused training, or identify other performance issues.
B. Employees Might Clock In More Hours
Some companies might follow a reward system for those who have the highest tracked time in Time Doctor. But this approach can encourage employees to overwork, leading to burnout.
To avoid this, any user can use Time Doctor’s Time and Attendance Report to see if employees have worked too many hours and encourage time off.
Time Doctor is also deploying a dedicated Work-Life Balance Report to help managers easily identify when employees are getting burned out and take measures to correct it.
C. Employee Privacy Concerns
Employees might feel that their privacy is compromised due to Time Doctor’s features like web usage monitoring and screen capture.
But don’t worry.
You can easily disable and blur screenshots with sensitive information and even allow employees to delete them as needed.
And before implementing the tool, businesses must proactively educate employees about how monitoring performance will help them and get their consent.
Time Doctor helps employees:
- Identify their most productive hours.
- Learn about the leading causes of distractions.
- Recognize time management opportunities.
- Identify areas of improvement that require additional training.
Explore these additional settings to make Time Doctor even more employee-friendly.
Time Doctor’s pricing plans start as low as $7/user per month. It also provides a 14-day free trial (no credit card details required).
- G2: 4.4/5 (180+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (330+ reviews)
Time Doctor is a robust time tracking and employee productivity management tool that offers several features to boost employee productivity.
However, from privacy concerns to burnout, several problems could pop up from using Time Doctor improperly.
And while you can take the right steps to eliminate such issues, you can check out the tools we covered here to find a free Time Doctor alternative for your needs. Once you have the right tool, employee productivity management becomes a piece of cake!